- Have A Plan – It’s important that you don’t just tackle your networking approach without a plan. Having a plan will not only help your efforts be more organised but it will also be more efficient and productive. Job seekers who don’t have a plan tend to be less productive.
- Be Ready For Next Opportunities – Your networking could happen at any time or any place. Always be ready for when an opportunity arises that you can network with a potential new connect.
- Put Yourself In Situations To Meet People – You should be connecting with potential new networking contacts in person. Don’t be afraid to go to venues/events where you can meet people face to face and connect.
- Communicate Effectively – If you can’t communicate then your networking efforts will be for nothing. Always be honest and straight forward with them. If you need help or advice than say you do and if you can offer help then offer it.
- Develop Quality Relationships – If you want to make good networking contacts then you must develop good relationships with them. This is by building up mutual trust and respect with them. In networking, it’s not the amount of your networking contacts you have that is important but the quality of the relationships. If you haven’t developed a good relationship then maybe you won’t get the help or even the opportunities you looking for.
- Stay Organised – Depending on the type and level of networking you undertake, it’s important you stay organised. Keep good records of your contacts and any interactions. Sort them into groups e.g. support contacts, recruiters etc. Being organised will help you stay on top of your efforts and keep you on track of what to do and what needs doing with regards to your network.
- Support Your Contacts – Networking is a two way street, not a one way street. If you’re a one way network it won’t be long before others begin to see how selfish you are and stop assisting/helping you. If you can help your contacts then do so, whether it is offering advice or passing on opportunities. Supporting your contacts will also help you develop the level of the relationship and help build up your reputation which is have good impact on your networking efforts.