Once you have identified a job fair you wish to attend you have to make sure you are ready. So how do you prepare? Here are some helpful job fair preparation tips to help you be ready & prepared!
(1) Update CV - Make sure you CV is up to date and free of errors. You will be handing out copies of this tool to employers to help you try and impress them. Giving them a CV that is not up to date is only going to hinder you.
(2) Research Employers - Once you have identified which job fair you are going to, you can also find out which companies are attending. Once you have seen who is attending, research all the companies you are going to target and the ones you are going to look at. Going not knowing anything about the companies will not impress the individual representing the company. Show you have done your homework and are prepared.
(3) Practice Your Introduction - Impressions count not only appearance but also how you conduct yourself. Make the right first impression when you introduce yourself. Practice that first positive approach so you are ready. When the day arrives you will be ready.
(4) Clothes - Again impressions count so make sure your appearance helps make you make a lasting impression. Don't think you can get away with jeans and a shirt. Dress to impress like you would in an interview. At times depending on the companies attending, smart casual can be ok but this is why we research who is attending.
(5) Getting Materials Ready - Make sure you have got all the materials you need ready. The materials are the tools you need to help you in a job fair. You'll need about 30 or more copies of your CV, a copy of your CV on your smart phone or table device to email to company rep as sometimes they prefer that method, business cards that you can hand out with your name & contact details, pad & pen for you to take down contact details & make notes & if you evidence of your achievements then take it with you as it could help your case if you're given a quick interview.
(6) Make A Plan - Don't think that you can do all the above and then attend with no clear plan. You need to make the most of these events so plan out what you going to do. Which companies you are going to see, in what order you going to target companies, how many contacts you intend to make & how you going to sell yourself.
(7) Preparing Question & Answers - Like you would with an interview, you need to have questions ready to ask and prepare answers for questions you are going to be asked. Not only does it show you are prepared & did your homework but helps you make the right impression. A point to note, some companies that attend could conduct an interview with you while at the event so prepare questions & answers for that scenario.