- Taking kids to school - If you never had chance to do this while you worked, why not start doing it. It is a positive way to start the day which you can channel into your days activities e.g job search.
- Volunteer work - Why not spend a few hours a week doing some volunteer work. It's good for you that besides keeping you busy and developing some skills it could also help to open some opportunities for you!
- Visit family more - We all need to recharge, gain some confidence/support and family is a good source for this. So if you can, visit your family or even take weekend trips to spend time with them.
- Take a course - Why not use the time to do a course and get a qualification in something that will help you get a job. It would be time well spent and has many potential advantages.
- Start a blog - Job search can be difficult at times and standing out even harder. Doing a blog is a way of evidencing what you can do and a good way of showcasing your skills. It's also a good way to connect to others and develop either networking contacts or new friends.
- Re-examine your life - This one will not apply to everyone but if you are unemployed for a long time, it gives you time to look at your life and see if you want to either change some things or decide to take a change of career.
- Sort out finances - Use the time well to plan out your finances so that they do not become a worry for you. Having one less issue to worry over will help you not being stressed. Being stressed will have negative impacts not only on your job search but your life too.
- See if you can start a business - Maybe you have a skill or an idea that could be used to start your own business. Why not have a look to see if you could achieve this. It will be hard work but if you achieve it, you can be your own boss.
- Getting fit - This has many benefits. Not only getting fit can help you feel good about yourself building confidence but also a good way of ridding yourself of stress and worries. Exercise can help you de-clutter your mind and re-energise you.
- Learn a new skill - Maybe there is a skill you have always wanted to develop e.g. driving, computers, etc. If you want to learn a skill then go on and do it. It could help in your job search or help you gain more confidence.