Below we have put together a few helpful tips to help you with job adverts. We hope that the tips can help you not only understand them better but also respond to them better to help your application.
· Due to laws to prevent employers from race, age, religious & sexual discrimination, most job adverts have to refer to the skills set & experience levels i.e. Manager with two years’ experience. They are not allowed to say ‘senior experience’. Certain jobs can state though if it just for male or female applicants!
· Make sure you fully understand your own skills, knowledge & experiences to help you match yourself to the requirements of the job advert.
· Print out adverts & go through it with a highlighter to pick out key words & phrases. Make them appear in your CV & cover letter.
· If you can match 60-80% of the job requirements from the advert, then still apply for it!
· Always read the advert more than once so you fully understand what the employer is looking for!
· Make sure that you understand if the job advert is for full-time, part-time, temporary etc.
· Make sure you follow all instructions of the job advert when applying.
· Look at the tone of the language used in the job advert. What does it tell you about the company? Do they sound friendly, professional etc.
· What skills & qualifications are desirable (they would like) and what are essential (you must have).
· Make sure that you understand any jargon used e.g. KPI which means key performance indicator.